Tuesday, March 24, 2009

SANTOKH SINGH
FATHER FIGURES
santokh@sph.com.sg

HOW would I have reacted as a father if my sons had been caught streaking on campus?

Reading about some male students getting punished for running naked from one building to another at the National University of Singapore set me thinking, and two other reports on youth provided some background.

I think I would have sat my boys down and lectured them on respecting themselves, respecting the rights of others to their space (and views) and so on.

Then I would have knocked them on their heads for getting caught.(vivid concrete language (Pathos)) (That is something I learnt in the Army (appeal to authority (Logos))) – if you pull a prank, make sure you don't get caught.)

After which I would have gone to the Hall, and the University, to appeal on their behalf, if it came to that.

Too protective? Too relaxed? Excuse for poor upbringing? (Emotionally loaded language(Pathos))

Perhaps, but the other reports in the same three days would have put some of this in perspective.

First, there was the story of a 17-year-old who was an average student, from an average family, with average grades in school.

He was believed to be socially well-adjusted and did not display any signs of violence.

But he went on a shooting rampage at his school, killing 10 schoolmates, three teachers and three passers-by before being gunned down by the police. (Factual data and statistics(Logos))

That was in Germany on Wednesday.

Average students

Then there was the report of 13 average students, from average schools, and believed to be from average family backgrounds.

They, too, were understood to be socially well-adjusted, until they were caught carrying dangerous weapons to school. Their intention, we are told, was to hurt people in their schools.

That was in Singapore.

So the story of a group of 20-year-olds streaking in their Hall pales in comparison.

Yes, they too were all average students, from average families, and with average grades that helped them qualify for university.

They are also understood to be socially well-adjusted, active sportsmen who did not display any sign of sexually maladjusted behaviour.

Yes, this "group of misfits" went on a streaking rampage, running naked from one hostel block to another in the middle of the night before they were reported to the authorities by some female students.

But all they did was to give some students a view they were not comfortable with. They did not kill, or threaten to kill, anyone. (Analysing cause and effect(Logos))

While no one can tell the future, I do live with some confidence that my sons are not likely to turn out killers or likely to take choppers to school.

But I'm not too sure about the streaking, especially if it is done as part of a Hall tradition or an Officer's Mess ragging session in the Army.

Yes, I do have some confidence in the value systems of my children, and their ability to tell right from wrong.

But I would find it difficult to moralise, let alone punish them with a clear conscience, for something like streaking. (Appeal to personal ethics and character(Ethos))

After all, I too had gone skinny-dipping with some friends, though not on our shores, when I was in university. (Denotative meanings/reasons(Logos))

It was not to celebrate any sporting victory nor to drown any sorrow.

It was also not part of a dare.

It was just for the fun of it.

And we didn't get caught or thrown out of university.

I grade it A.

No comments:

Post a Comment